WCRP 2016 County Call to Convention
(COUNTY DELEGATES; click above for download of the “Call to Convention”)
WCRPNominatingConventionRules.2016-Rules follow at bottom of this post.
(COUNTY DELEGATES; click above to read and print the WCRP Nominating Convention Rules.2016)
WCRP Bylaws, Amended May 14, 2014 (1)
(COUNTY DELEGATES; click above to read the WCRP BYLAWS)
STATE DELEGATES; Click above for UTAH GOP State Convention Info
Who: All County Delegates
What: County Nominating Convention
When: April 16, 2016 9:00 am (come early)
Where: Washington County Fairgrounds-Exhibit Hall, located at 5500 West 700 South, Hurricane, Utah 84737.
Congratulations on being elected as a Republican County Convention Delegate in this year’s neighborhood caucus meeting. Your Delegate service begins now, with the upcoming Nominating Convention to be held on Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 9:00 AM. It will be an exciting and informative event.
At this Nominating Convention, we will elect Republican candidates for:
Senate District 29 House District 75 House District 74
House District 71 House District 62 County Commissioner Seat C
We will also be electing two Executive Committee Members:
Chair, Legislative District 62 Chair Legislative District 74.
If you have an interest in running for this position, a letter of intent must be received by the Party Secretary Kim Staheli no later than 5:00 PM, Monday, April 11th. The address is WCRP, PO Box 1508, St George, Utah, 84771-1508. Email notification is acceptable to email@example.com, If correspondence is mailed it must reach her prior to April 11, 2016. Hand delivery may be arranged by calling (435) 215-3615.
7:00 AM Candidate Vetting. Come early and take the time to visit with each of the Candidates who will be there to answer your questions. Get to know their positions and educate yourself on the issues that concern you and your Neighborhood. This is why you were elected. This is what makes the Utah Caucus/Convention System more effective.
8:00 AM Delegate Check In. Delegate check in opens 8:00AM. You will need a valid Photo ID with you in order to check in at the credentials desk, where you will be given an ID Badge and your voting ballots. No delegate will be credentialed after 9:10 AM. Once you receive your credentials, take the time to visit with each Candidate.
9:00 AM Convention. The convention will be called to order promptly at 9:00 AM. A copy of the Agenda is on the back of this letter. You can find the Proposed Convention Rules on line at WashingtonCountyRepublicans.com. Please remember to bring this Letter, a copy of the Proposed Convention Rules, and a valid Photo ID with you when you check in.
If for any reason, you are unable to attend the convention, please notify your precinct chairperson by Friday April 8th. Your precinct chair will then work with his/her Legislative Chair to arrange for an alternate delegate.
I’d like to thank the Executive Committee who has worked so hard to make our 2016 Caucus/Convention so successful. I’m looking forward to seeing each of you at the Washington County Fairgrounds on April 16, 2016!
Robert Jensen, Chair
Washington County Republican Party
2016 WCRP Nominating Convention Agenda
Call to Order Chair Robert Jensen
Prayer By Invitation
Posting of Colors: Washington County Sherriff”s Office
Pledge of Allegiance TBA
Quorum Rprt Sec Kim Staheli
Agenda / Rules Motion from the Floor
2016 Budget Rept Tres Josh Savage
County Commissioner Seat C
Senate District 29
House District 62
House District 75
House District 74
House District 71
Chair, Leg Dist 62
Chair, Leg Dist 74
Other Business Chair Robert Jensen
Motion to Adjourn From the Delegates
Washington County Republican Party
Nominating Convention Rules
When: Saturday, April 16, 2016
Where: Washington County Fairgrounds, 5500 West 700 South, Hurricane, Utah 84737
Excerpt from Article IX of the Bylaws
- Nominating Convention. At the time and place designated by the County Central Committee, the Convention shall be held (each even-numbered year) to nominate candidates for partisan offices. Notice regarding the Convention shall be mailed to every properly qualified County Delegate at least two weeks prior to the Convention.
- General. Delegates shall elect candidates for County officials and Utah House Representatives and Senators for districts with boundaries identical to or completely within the boundaries of Washington County.
- The Convention shall begin promptly at the designated time, date and place.
- The most current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order shall be used to facilitate orderly procedures and communications during such meetings.
- The Convention shall follow the prepared agenda provided in the mailing notice to the delegates. Any deviation from the agenda must be put in the form of a motion and requires a second and approval by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the delegates present.
- A motion to amend the Convention rules and procedures or a motion for a resolution containing more than ten words must be made in writing and submitted to the Party Secretary by 12:00 noon ten days prior to the Convention (Washington County Republican Party, Attn: Secretary, P.O. Box 1508, St. George, UT 84771).
- Motions to amend the Convention rules and procedures containing ten words or less may be made verbally from the floor immediately following the second to the motion to adopt the rules and procedures.
- Delegates. Delegates to this Convention shall be the same persons who were elected and certified as County Delegates at the Caucus Meetings of the Washington County Republican Party last held (except where delegates have been duly replaced), together with those persons designated as Officiary Delegates.
- Delegates are required to display a delegate name tag issued for the Convention and may be required to show picture I.D. during the balloting process.
- Delegates to the Convention who are neither present nor certified ten minutes past the scheduled time of the convening of the Convention shall be disqualified as delegates. Only certified delegates may vote at the Convention.
- Nominating. At the time and place set for the County Nominating Convention, the name of each person who is qualified and has properly filed may be placed in nomination for the office for which the declaration was filed.
- Nominations shall be made for all contested offices and need not be seconded. Each candidate for a contested office shall be allowed a combined time as specified in the Convention Rules for nomination, second (optional) and acceptance speech. Uncontested candidates may be elected by acclamation by a motion from the Convention floor.
- Prior to nominations for a specific office, the Convention Chair shall make a report of any candidate who failed to submit a platform disclosure statement as prescribed by these Bylaws.
- When the number of candidates filing declarations of candidacy is no greater than the number of nominees required for the next General Election, those candidates shall be declared to be the Party’s nominees for those offices and shall not be required to run at either the Nominating Convention or in the Primary Election.
- Balloting. The Convention may use multiple ballots or preference voting. The Party Central Committee shall certify the method of election at least thirty (30) days prior to the Convention.
- Following the nominating and acceptance speeches made on behalf of the candidates for office, the Delegates shall vote. The County Nominating Convention shall provide time and voting facilities so that all Delegates may vote. Each delegate shall cast one vote for each office to be filled.
- When two candidates are nominated by the Nominating Convention for the same office, both candidates shall run in a primary election in accordance with Utah Code.
- A candidate for an office who receives sixty percent (60%) or more of the votes cast at any point in the balloting process shall become the Party’s candidate without the necessity of running in the Primary Election.
- In the event three or more candidates are nominated for the same office and the Convention has chosen to use multiple ballots, the first ballot shall be used to reduce the number of candidates to three, if more than three candidates participate or by one, if three participate. Each subsequent ballot shall eliminate the lowest vote getter(s) until two candidates remain. The two top candidates shall participate in the final ballot.
- The Party Secretary shall certify to the County Clerk the names of the Party’s candidates by 5:00 p.m. on the Monday after the Convention.
Additional Provisions not in Bylaws
- Electioneering: Candidates will each be allowed one 8-foot table with skirting at a cost of $75.00 outside the Convention Center. Signs may be posted in the lawn area but must be removed immediately following the convention. No signs will be allowed inside the building. No literature may be distributed inside the building. Each candidate may designate one individual to serve as the campaign’s poll watcher no later than the day prior to the start of the convention. Credentialing of Poll Watchers must be coordinated with the Party Secretary.
Additional Rules for the Replacement Election of two Executive Committee positions:
Leg Chair 62
Leg Chair 74
Excerpt from Article IX of the Bylaws
- Nominating. At the time and place set for the County Convention, the name of each person who is qualified and has filed a letter of intent may be placed in nomination for the office for which the declaration was filed.
- Nominations for any contested office shall be made by a certified delegate. Each candidate for a contested office shall be allowed a combined time as specified in the Convention rules for nomination, second (optional) and acceptance speech. Uncontested candidates may be elected by acclamation by a motion from the Convention floor.
- Prior to nominations for a specific position, the County Executive Committee Chair shall make a report of any candidate who failed to submit a platform disclosure statement as prescribed by these Bylaws.
- In the event no candidate files for an office or position to be filled by an election, nominations may be made from the floor.
- Balloting. The Convention shall furnish prepared ballots for the voting process. Provisions shall be made to accommodate voting for candidates nominated from the convention floor.
- Ballots shall be issued to delegates at the time of certification. At the conclusion of the nominations and speeches for all contested offices and positions, the polls shall be declared open by the Chair and closed five minutes after the Chair’s final call.
- Candidates for contested offices receiving the most votes in any particular contest shall be declared the winner by the Convention.
Excerpt from Article III, A, 2 of the Bylaws
- Election of Executive Officers.
- Election. Officers shall be elected for a term of two (2) years at the County Organizing Convention held in odd-numbered years in accordance with the provisions of the Utah election laws and the Constitution and Bylaws of the State Republican Party.
- Filing. Any individual desiring to run for a County Executive Committee office must file a letter of intent with the Executive Committee Secretary no less than fifteen (15) days prior to the County Organizing Convention in order for his or her name to appear on the ballot.
- Nominations from the Floor. In the event no candidate files for an office to be filled by an election at an Organizing Convention, nominations may be made from the floor.
- Qualifications. All candidates shall be U.S. Citizens who have resided in Washington County for at least one (1) year, must reside within the area they are elected to represent, must be at least eighteen (18) years of age, registered Republicans, and not an officer, delegate, candidate or registered affiliated voter of any other political party. An Officer shall not be a candidate for an elected (partisan) public office and resignation as a Party Officer will be automatic immediately upon such filing.
For Additional Information
Party Chair: Robert Jensen Mobil: (435) 256-7074 Email: rJensen@JensenBayles.com
Party Secretary: Kim Staheli. Mobil: (435) 215-3615 Email: KimStaheli@gmail.com
Party Generally: P.O. Box 1508, St. George, UT 84771 www.WashingtonCountyRepublicans.com